Thursday, July 25, 2013

How I spent my Tuesday

That, folks, is my IVIg infusion.
I started my day with my final acupuncture session before our transfer, then headed over to Dr. Kwak-Kim's office for my first IVIg infusion.  Needless to say, there was some downtime between appointments, so I was able to have some lunch and check in at work to give them the schedule I wanted to sign up for.  They finally took me back, along with 2 other women.  I was the only one not yet pregnant, so that was reassuring.  We each got an infusion room, which was about the size of an exam room, but had a huge overstuffed recliner and an IV pole.  The nurse came in with tylenol and benedryl for all of us.  It's standard protocol to premedicate to help ward off allergic reactions.  You should have seen all the consents I had to sign before hand too.  Honestly that made me a little nervous.
  The nurse came back in, took a set of vitals, and started my IV.  It hurt, but possibly because she used the same vein we did for my retrieval.  She got to work setting up the infusion and soon we were on our way.   I think we started running it at 1:30, and I was done around 4.  I got to just sit and hang out.  I read and played candy crush the whole time.  Not too bad.  Occasionally it would burn a little, but not at all as bad as I thought.  When I was done, they took out my IV, and advised me to drink as much as possible to ward off feeling bad later and to take tylenol and benedryl if I needed to.  I may have gotten a little bit of a headache over the next couple days, but took tylenol as soon as I thought one was starting.  Hopefully the infusion helped to quiet down those NK cells and cytokines.  
  Here's some more information on NK cells and IVIg use.  http://haveababy.com/fertility-information/ivf-authority/ivig-intralipid-therapy-in-ivf-natural-killer-cell-activity-for-diagnosis-and-treatment/

No comments:

Post a Comment