Friday, May 10, 2013

Memories

  I'd like to take a break from the infertility talk for a post and talk about something else.  This week, I learned that a girl I graduated high school with passed away, rather unexpectedly from a tragic accident.  Those of you in the Chicagoland area have probably heard this story, as it has been on the news and in all the papers.  Maureen was at a Cubs game Sunday with her brother when she choked on a hot dog.  Despite valiant efforts of her brother and medical staff, Maureen did not survive.  However, she was able to be kept alive on life support long enough for her to donate her organs.  It only seems fitting that a girl that was so loving, kind and generous has continued to give to others even after she has passed away.  Here it one of the stories about her I liked the best. http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/19977448-418/teacher-who-loved-cubs-killed-in-choking-accident-at-wrigley-field.html

  I honestly can't wrap my head around the fact that she's gone.  It seems so wrong.  I remember Maureen as the girl who always had a huge smile on her face.  She was so nice to everyone, despite what social circle they ran with.  (You know in high school how rare that is!)  If there is one thing I learned from her and this experience, it's that life is too short to be so serious.  I can remember getting irritated at her our senior year.  We were both in the honors choir.  We got 45 minutes of rehearsal a day to prepare for performances.  There were times she and her group would goof around, which would irritate me considering I planned to go to college for music.  Looking back, I realize now that life is too short to be so serious.  There has to be time for laughing and smiling.

  So, Maureen, thank you for the lesson.  I'll always remember it.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment