Monday, September 30, 2013

An update

I followed up with my OB today, as I was instructed after being discharged from the ER.  A quick pelvic exam showed my cervix is nice and closed and there was no active bleeding.  He did see some old blood, but nothing much to write home about.  The nurse attempted to find the heartbeats with the portable doppler but had no success.  At one point I thought I heard one, but it might have been my own heartbeat.  Just to play it safe, they did an ultrasound. 
  Twin A is measuring 2 days ahead with a heartbeat of 157.  Twin B is measuring 1 day ahead with a heartbeat of 163.  They barely saw the SCH.  My cervix measured nice an long and closed, just like in the ER.  After a few more measurements, she was done and I got redressed.  The OB came back in and said it's definately a partial placenta previa and told me I am on pelvic rest until it revolves.  I asked if this is common in multiples and he said yes, due to the fact that there are 2 placentas in the same amount of space.  The good news is that more often than not, seeing a previa this early is kind of good because they tend to resolve more than the ones you see later in pregnancy.  He also warned me I may bleed off & on until it does resolve.  I asked if I was still okay to work and he said yes as long as I take it easy when I can.  He wants me to watch for cramping and to stop my activity if I start having bad cramping that doesn't go away.  I see them again next week for a routine appt and my NT scan. 
  I opted not to tell my mom I was in the ER.  She would have panicked and insisted on being there.  With the fear of miscarriage, that's the last thing I want.  Part of me regrets not telling her because I dont think she appreciates what we are going through.  She thinks this is just a regular pregnancy, with the exception of 2 babies.  She doesn't even attempt to understand the concept of measuring them in weeks & days vs months.  DH did tell his parents, because he went out of town with his dad on no sleep after our ER trip.  His mom text me today to see how I was feeling, check in about the appt I had and to tell me she loved me.  Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones, but that really got to me.  Maybe I have more mommy issues than I thought.
  We are still planning to announce the pregnancy this weekend.  I'm doing work on Friday, to mark 13w.  I'm bringing in cookies and leaving a sign with them in the breakroom.  I'll post a picture when I do it.  We're telling the rest of DH family when we see them for a family party Saturday.  Still not sure how we're gonna do that.  I have one more aunt/uncle to tell from my family, but we never see them so it'll probably be a text so they don't see it on facebook first.  Facebook maybe we'll do sunday.  I'm scared to come out, but I think it's time.  Aside from the bleeding/previa, we've had great ultrasounds and the babies look good.  Time to share them with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment